Last week Ali from ‘Mum in a Nutshell’ posted a fantastic list of baby
toys from everyday things around the home on my #playathometuesdays linky. I decided
to make Sophie a discovery bottle.
What you need:
·
An empty plastic bottle
·
Objects to put inside e.g. buttons or sequins.
·
Water
2.
Fill the bottle with water and add the objects you have chosen.
3.
Put the lid on securely. I used some decorative duct tape to keep the
lid closed.
At first, I just added buttons and no water to make a noisy discovery
bottle but Sophie hated it and her bottom lipped wobbled every time we shook
it! So I filled it with water which made the noise softer and she responded
much better! She seemed to enjoy watching me tip it slowly and watched intently
as the buttons slid down (over and over again!) I used cold water to fill it and
she seemed to enjoy feeling the bottle.
I would like to have another go at making some noisy discovery bottles
perhaps with rice or feathers as Ali suggested. This was quick and easy to make
using things I had in the house! Thanks for the suggestion Ali.
Make sure the lid
is on tight and always supervise your baby when using the discovery bottle.



Love these. When my son was younger (and it's still a hit) I took a bottle, filled it just over a quarter full with cheap and nasty washing up liquid, topped with water. And voila a bottle that makes bubbles when you shake it and settles when you leave it a bit. Still works now a year later!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea! Thanks - I will have to try that one :)
DeleteI need to update my son's sensory box now he's little older. He has suspected autism so I'm looking at ideas to suit him, I used glitter in his old bottles but didn't consider larger objects so will try something different x
ReplyDeleteGym Bunny Mummy | Bloglovin’ | Facebook
I have seen a lovely idea that your son might like - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/574209021215467296/
DeleteI really need to make a glittery one x
I'll have to make some of these! Great idea!
ReplyDeleteThey are so easy! I have seen another idea where you use rice & toothpicks to make it sound like the rain.
DeleteI have made these before but with glitter and shiny beads - love the idea of using colourful buttons, might have to make one like that. :)
ReplyDeleteJenna at Tinyfootsteps xx
I definitely need to make a glittery one :) x
DeleteWhat a great idea! I will definitely have to try this with Timothy. I like the idea of adding water so that it isn't noisy. Timothy absolutely adores things that make a noise when shaken, but I'd like to make one that isn't noisy so that he'll show more interest in looking at what is inside the bottle x
ReplyDeleteYeah it is nice to have the focus being on watching it. She is captivated by it - so cute x
DeleteLovely idea! have used glitter in one of these before and it went down well!
ReplyDeleteI def need to raid my craft supplies and find some glitter! x
Delete