I have wanted to try painting with Sophie for so long but as she is still quite young and everything ends up in her mouth I hadn’t braved it yet. So when Terrie from 'What Baby Did' linked her recipe for edible cornflour paint to the ‘#playathometuesdays linky I decided to give it a go. The aim was to create beautifully decorated pieces of paper that I could turn into an Easter egg garland. Well it was the equivalent of a ‘Pinterest fail!’ She is 6 months old. Everything goes in her mouth. What was I thinking?! It was fun though and I think she enjoyed the ‘sensory experience’ even if we did through everything away, get through a whole bag of wipes and both need a shower and an outfit change by the end!
If you are feeling brave (or stupid) and would like to have a
go, here is what we did.
What you need: (Recipe from What Baby Did')
· Approximately 7tbs of cornflour
· Cold water to make a paste
· Hot water from the kettle to get the desired consistency
· Food colouring
I put the
cornflour into a bowl and mixed in the cold water to make a paste (I love how
this feels!) Then I added some boiling water to thicken the mixture. I divided
the mixture into three and added food colouring.
I poured
the cornflour paint into an Easter egg shaped chocolate mould because I thought
it would be cute and Eastery – it was just floppy and a recipe for disaster! As
soon as I gave it to Sophie she just tipped the whole thing out onto her high
chair table! I really shouldn’t have bothered separating and mixing colours.
I tried
to encourage her to touch the paint and put some on paper but she is six months
and had no idea what I wanted her to do! She preferred to spread it around with
her hands. She was happy to do this for quite a while – I think she must have
liked the texture. She didn’t put much in her mouth which is probably because
it tasted disgusting. I did have a moment where I sat on the floor next to her
and thought “What have I done?!?!” but we did manage to get cleaned up before
Sophie’s dad got home! I would do this activity again but until she is a bit
older I wouldn’t bother with the food colouring and maybe even sit her in an
empty bath with it!
Have you tried painting with a baby? If you
have older children, what age did you introduce things like paint brushes and
sponges?





Aw still even though she didn't actually "paint" the textures and experience alone are so great for her! I've linked up a couple of oldies had to share our cornflour painting experience which was exactly 11months ago!! And a fun spaghetti idea! Even though Sophie didn't appreciate your colours I love the Easter feel! xx
ReplyDeletelol x
ReplyDeleteThis is great idea and love that she enjoyed it!! :-) Thanks for hosting #playathometuesday x
ReplyDeletethis looks fab! My son paints without shoving in his mouth but my daughter is obsessed with putting them in her mouth so might have a go with these
ReplyDelete#playathometuesdays
This is great - my one year old will eat any craft supplies so I'll be making this!
ReplyDeleteSophie looks like she is having great fun, that paint must be tasty! haha. such a good idea for a messy play activity. x
ReplyDeleteSteph | www.raisingemily.net